Friday, October 29, 2010

Our Very Own Owl Pellets!

Having purchased and dissected an owl pellet from an educational store,
I was familiar with what owl pellets looked like.
Earlier this week, I asked my son to take our the trash.
He called me excitedly and said that I MUST come
look at this "thing" on the trash can lid.

This is what I found:
See the little bones sticking out? A "wild" owl pellet!

Today, we found another.

I called my home school friend who lives down the street.
She brought two of her children, her rubber gloves, and her science tools.


We proceeded to dissect both pellets.


Jaw bone.

To the best of our ability, we identified two rodents.

I should also add that we live in a
residential area about four blocks from downtown.

Who says you can't do nature study in the city?

No comments:

Post a Comment